Teen Court Process
The purpose of Teen Court is to hold the juvenile accountable for his/her actions, to repair the harm caused by the offense and to help the juvenile become a positive participant in their community.
In order to qualify for the Teen Court program, the following criteria must be met:
- The juvenile must accept full responsibility for the incident
- This must be the juvenile’s first offense
- You cannot have charges in any other jurisdiction (traffic tickets do not count)
Parker Teen Court has two sentencing procedures: trials and peer panels. The Teen Court Coordinator determines which procedure is appropriate for each case. Typically, you can expect Panels to be reserved for defendants 13-15 years of age and Trials to be reserved for defendants 16-17 years of age.
Please note that:
- Defendants and parents/guardians will schedule the hearing date and time with the Teen Court Coordinator; typically via email with paperwork being signed and sent back to the Coordinator.
- The $30 Fee is due at the time of the panel or trial.
- Panels are generally held on Monday, Wednesday, and/or Thursday evenings at Parker Town Hall; Trials are generally held on Tuesday evenings also at Parker Town Hall. Scheduled events typically begin at or after 5pm to accommodate for work and school schedules.
- A parent/guardian must accompany the defendant at Teen Court appearances
- Sentencing is determined by trained student volunteers;
- All sentencing include community service (volunteering for a non-profit-charitable organization) and jury duty (performed on similar cases in Teen Court); Jury duty includes sitting on panels and as juror on trials.
- Other possible sentencing options include, but are not limited to: apology letters, essays, jury duty, educational classes, random drug testing;
- The defendant has 3 months from the hearing date to complete the sanctions.
- Email is our primary form of communication.
- Mandatory Exit Interview with Teen Court Coordinator when Sanctions are completed.
Please let me know if you have any questions!
Teen Court Coordinator