- Sales Tax and Licensing
- Disposal Bag Fee
Disposal Bag Fee
Effective Jan.1, 2023, the State of Colorado has mandated a 10-cent fee for each disposable paper and plastic bag used at check-out. Please see Colorado House Bill HB21-1162 for more information.
Certain businesses must collect the Disposable Bag Fee if they provide a disposable carryout bag. A carryout bag is furnished to a customer at a store at the point of sale to transport or carry purchased items away.
Store, meaning grocery store, supermarket, convenience store, liquor store, pharmacy, drug store, clothing store, or another type of retail establishment at which carryout bags are traditionally provided to customers.
Exclusions to Collecting a Disposable Bag Fee:
- Small Store, a store that operates solely in Colorado, has three or fewer locations in the state and is not part of a franchise, corporation, or partnership that has physical locations outside of Colorado
- Bags used to contain or wrap frozen foods, meat, fish, flowers, potted plants, and other items where dampness may be a problem.
- Bags used to contain loose bulk items such as fruit, vegetables, nuts, chocolate, nails, screws, etc.
- Bags used to contain unwrapped prepared foods and bakery goods.
- Bags used to protect items from damage or contamination when placed in a reusable bag.
- Bags used to contain medical prescriptions issued by a pharmacist.
Businesses are required to remit quarterly under the new state law.
Online Filing Through Xpress Bill Pay
The Town of Parker partners with Xpress Bill Pay to provide a service that will allow you to both file and pay your sales tax returns online (including $0 and past due returns). Please note that all transactions will be processed the same day they are initiated. You can file your return anytime and return on the 20th to submit your payment. If you do not see a return to submit, please contact the Town of Parker's Sales Tax Division at 303.805.3228.
Please review the full text of HB21-1162 for a complete discussion of the requirements and restrictions imposed under the act.
ALERT: Effective Jan. 1, 2024, the State of Colorado will prohibit using disposable plastic bags and Styrofoam.