The original item was published from July 15, 2021 9:00 AM to September 28, 2021 3:47 PM
Hidden spots, historic plots and unique jaunts, how many of these Parker locations were you aware of?
Twenty Mile Historic Park, 18999 E. Mainstreet
Built by Alfred Butters in the 1860s, 20-Mile House served as a stage stop for travelers on their way to Denver (located 20 miles away, hence the name) or other destinations in the Colorado Territory.
The building became known as the Pine Grove Post Office, received an addition of lodging rooms, and saw several other structures built around the property. By the time James Parker took ownership of the building in 1874, the site included a stage shop, blacksmith shop, general merchandise store and hotel.
The original 20-Mile House was restored and rededicated in 2001.
Auburn Hills Interpretive Trail
Auburn Hills Community Park, 11682 Bradbury Ranch Drive
Just south of Prairie Crossing Elementary School is the Auburn Hills Community Park interpretive trail. In addition to an outdoor amphitheater, the path features six educational stops, providing sessions about the night sky, how weather is measured, tracking time, why native plants and butterflies are important, and the types of rocks found in Colorado.
Stonegate Mammoth Display
Parker Town Hall, 20120 E. Mainstreet
The Stonegate Mammoth was uncovered in 2002 during road construction for the Stonegate subdivision. It is believed this mammoth was an approximately 53-year-old male that lived in the area about 200,000 years ago.
In all, 28 pieces of the mammoth were found. A tusk, teeth and parts of the skull are exhibited in the Town Hall lobby.
Slemmer Ranch Barn
Northeast from Iron Horse Park, 20151 Tallman Drive
The Slemmer Ranch Barn was built in 1919 on the dairy farm belonging to Edmund Charles and Anna Ophelia Hornneman Slemmer. Edmund and Anna Ophelia moved to the Parker area in 1918 from Illinois and began building a dairy farm shortly after their arrival.
As part of the Slemmer Ranch, the family constructed this barn and kept dairy cows and horses on the lower level with a hay loft on the second floor.
The barn was restored in 1995.
PACE Center, 20000 Pikes Peak Avenue
Harmony Park Musical Classroom is an interactive public art exhibit installed on the PACE Center’s East Patio.
These outdoor wind and percussion instruments were designed to easily be played together because they are tuned to the pentatonic scale. There are no wrong notes, all of the sounds are harmonious, and knowledge of music, keys or scales is not necessary.
Outdoor Fitness Station
Sulphur Gulch Trail between Town Hall and the PACE Center
The Sulphur Gulch Outdoor Fitness Station includes seven exercise stations supporting strength, cardio and flexibility.
This site, opened in 2014, was a partnership between the Town and Parker Adventist Hospital commemorating the medical facility’s 10th anniversary.
McCabe Meadows, 19700 Indian Pipe Lane
A perfect outing for families, this StoryWalk invites visitors to read and act out a book page by page while traversing a meandering pathway. Check back regularly, because the featured children’s story is changed a few times each year.
The StoryWalk follows the soft-surface trail to the north of the parking lot.