Individuals have different preferences when it comes to transportation, but there’s one that all road users share – everyone is a pedestrian. Recent warm weather has enticed people out of their homes to enjoy all Parker has to offer, which has led to an increase in pedestrian traffic. The Parker Police Department is working to raise awareness about pedestrian safety along Mainstreet in Old Town Parker.
Tips for Pedestrians
* Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections, this is where drivers expect pedestrians to be.
* Do not dart suddenly into traffic, especially from between vehicles parked on the side of the road.
* Don’t assume a driver has seen you. Make eye contact with drivers as they approach you to make sure you are seen.
* Be predictable. Follow the rules of the road and obey signs and signals.
* Keep alert at all times. Don’t be distracted by electronic devices that take your eyes and ears off the road.
* Watch for turning vehicles. Make sure the driver sees you and will stop for you.
* Avoid alcohol and drugs when walking. They impair your abilities and judgment too.
Tips for Drivers
* Look out for pedestrians everywhere, at all times. Safety is a shared responsibility.
* Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop too.
* Slow down and be prepared to stop when turning or otherwise entering a crosswalk.
* Follow the speed limit, especially in safety sensitive zones.
* Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
Designated Crosswalks on Mainstreet
There are multiple locations along Mainstreet east of Parker Road for pedestrians to cross safely. Please make sure to utilize one of these crosswalks while in the downtown area:
* Mainstreet and Victorian Drive – at the corner of O’Brien Park
* Mainstreet and S. Pikes Peak Drive
* Mainstreet and Victorian Drive – on the east end of Parker Station
* Mainstreet and S. Pine Drive – by the PACE Center